Monday, July 13, 2009

Nokomis beach


When I saw the photo my wife snapped of Holly, ( my Granddaughter ) I

knew it was a painting waiting to happen.

Thanks to Dave Darrow, artist extraordinaire, I was able to utilize the

workshop information and orchestrate and execute this painting.

Working from a photograph, I first did a pencil /charcoal drawing on the

11 x 14 canvas.

Next I toned the canvas, blocking in the background with a combination

of sap green and yellow ocher, with just a bit of cerulean blue.

I was now ready to begin painting.

Transparent oxide brown wash for warm shadows.

Flesh tones of alizarin crimson , raw sienna, titanium white, cerulean blue, and ultra

marine blue.

The swimsuit is cad red straight from the tube.

The pail is "thalo red" and the boat is cad yellow, yellow ocher, permanent green.

total time is just over 12 hrs.

I was exhausted as it's been a while.

This painting would not have happened without the help of : Dave Darrow. a.k.a.

Dave the painting guy.com
p.s. I water gilded the frame with pale gold (16 k)

2 comments: